Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Therapy

So, where IS the sun? It truly is a personal struggle when I start to have a withdrawal symptom from the most simple thing I take for granted. That thing that brings LIGHT to me every day, the Sun! Leaning on the side of Vitamin D deprived and a bit moody requires daily sessions of epic bike riding to combat the moody blues. Since, let's say, the day before Xmas KC has been enveloped by (guessing) 17" of snow and single-digit temps. Did I ride? Yes. Outside? Yes. Why? Because 4 walls will make a guy like me crazy at some point. Mounting the Super Fly 29er and storming the local Trails head-on did the Trick during the ice age temps. However, right now is a different story. The Melt is upon us. I'm on my road bike now and it's wet, cold, foggy, and dark. Every day seems like a rain day due to the slowly melting snow. I depart dry and come home wet. Upon my return home I instantly throw my shoe covers, cycling shoes, leg warmers, and gloves on a furnace vent nearest the garage entrance and huddle around a steamy cup of green tea. Each new day I grab my DRY/WARM gear and head out for another refreshing ride OUTSIDE. Bottom line is that I make it work. On the flip side I would be driving my sweet wife crazy and my kids...well...more nuts than the usual 4 and 6 year old. My plan with this new blog is to share the silver lining in my daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly experiences while in the saddle. At least for me, life "Seems To Go Better On a Bicycle." Happy reading and riding.

1 comment:

  1. i literally feel the depression come over without sun for more than a couple of days. The battle to motivate to dress in the cold weather gear becomes a necessity after a couple of early a.m. roller sessions as well. Shadd, you were reading my mind with the wife and kid thing as well. i can be a miserable s.o.b. to be around without my fix of bike.

    taylor

    ReplyDelete